Skip to main content

Sprint and Clearwire in talks to extend 4G agreement beyond 2012

clear clearwire logoWith both AT&T and Verizon moving to LTE for 4G cell phone service it is no surprise that Sprint decided to join them. Sprint CEO Dan Hesse said Wednesday morning that the company is in talks with Clearwire to extend its contract past 2012 and use Clearwire to help power Sprint’s LTE network. News of the possible extension has caused Clearwire shares to skyrocket up nearly 20 percent.

Sprint decided to ditch WiMax and focus on LTE for its flavor of 4G technology. Previously Clearwire powered Sprint’s WiMax 4G network, and learned that it would be losing its biggest customer at the end of its current contract. Much like Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon, Clearwire also figured that the future of 4G lay in the hands of LTE, so it decided it would also build a LTE network.  If your head is already spinning with all of this cell phone network talk please review our guide that explains all of the 4G options.

Recommended Videos

This is why Sprint and Clearwire are on talking terms again. Sprint hopes to launch its LTE network by the middle of 2012, and in order to do so it will need all the help it can get. Things start getting a little tricky when the details around the possible contract extension are examined a little closer.

Clearwire publicly announced that it will need around 1 billion dollars to build a LTE network, but Clearwire doesn’t have that kind of money lying around. It is safe to assume that Sprint will help Clearwire with some or most of the billion dollars it needs, in order to use the network at a discounted rate.

So why would Sprint help another company build a LTE network instead of building its own network? The answer is pretty simple in this case, because Sprint is the majority owner of Clearwire. If Clearwire isn’t able to transition from WiMax to LTE then the company will have no future, and Sprint doesn’t want that.

Mike Dunn
Former Digital Trends Contributor
Mike graduated from University of Arizona with a degree in poetry, and made his big break by writing love sonnets to the…
OnePlus’ pocket rocket incoming after 13T appears in another leak
The OnePlus 13 and OnePlus Watch 3.

OnePlus announced its flagship OnePlus 13 series at the beginning of the year with the OnePlus 13 and the OnePlus 13R both arriving around the same time. There's another model that is set to join the series that keeps popping up in rumours however, and that's the OnePlus 13T.

The Chinese company previously confirmed this week that the device exists and that it will be called the OnePlus 13T, so we know it is coming. OnePlus has also described it at as "small and powerful device" and said it would debut in China later in April. 

Read more
Apple could still move away from physical buttons on iPhone, but not anytime soon
iPhone 16 Pro review

The rumour mill for upcoming smartphones is constantly churning, and that's especially true when it comes to the next Apple and Samsung devices. For years now, there has been speculation that Apple is considering solid state buttons for its iPhones, which would see it move away from physical buttons like the volume rocker and power buttons.

The rumours first appeared ahead of the iPhone 15 Pro in 2023, and when that didn't happen, the rumours moved onto claiming we would see this design change for the iPhone 16 Pro. Of course, it didn't happen then either, and while that's not to say Apple has given up entirely on the idea, it looks like it might be a while before any switch happens.

Read more
A new cheap phone touting major camera performance is on the horizon
CMF by Nothing Phone 2 teaser

April might have one just begun but it's looking like it could shape up to be a very busy month for phones. We've heard plenty of chatter around the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S25 Edge that is expected to launch in the middle of the month and OnePlus is also expected to debut its OnePlus 13T in April too. 

But the latest report suggests Nothing's sub-brand CMF might also have something to bring to the April smartphone party. The company has teased the arrival of a new device on X, and as spotted by MySmartPrice, that device's landing page then appeared on India's commerce site, Flipkart before swiftly being taken down.

Read more