Skip to main content

‘Ghostbusters’ reboot film might take a $70M loss, making a sequel less likely

In what’s likely being celebrated as a victory by franchise purists and internet misogynists, director Paul Feig’s controversial Ghostbusters reboot is now reported to be headed for a net loss of around $70 million at the box office, making the likelihood of a sequel less certain.

Although the studio announced after the film’s premiere that a sequel would indeed happen, Ghostbusters was never able to gain traction at the box office despite positive reviews from critics and general audiences. According to The Hollywood Reporter, projections now indicate that the movie will likely end up earning just shy of $225 million worldwide, almost $70 million short of what the studio previously indicated was the break-even point on the movie, which cost $144 million to make, a figure that doesn’t include large expenditures on marketing and distribution.

Recommended Videos

The report indicates that the studio will likely turn its focus to animated spinoffs on both the big screen and television, and shelve plans for a sequel to Feig’s live-action reboot of the franchise. Ever since it was first announced that Feig intended to feature a cast of four female leads in his spin on Ghostbusters, the project was beset by aggressive online campaigns to sink the film before cameras even began rolling. Purists angered by the decision to reboot the franchise instead of produce a sequel mounted a similarly aggressive, public campaign to derail the film well before it hit theaters, creating a perfect storm of negative buzz.

That doesn’t mean that all hope is lost for the sequel and the rebooted Ghostbusters universe, however.

In a response to the initial report on the film’s expected losses and the uncertainty of a sequel, Sony Pictures disputed the report’s numbers and conclusion. According to the studio, the additional revenue generated by the film outside of the box office — including new theme park attractions, toy lines, and even interest in the 1984 original movie — go a long way toward covering any box-office deficit the film will incur.

“This loss calculation is way off,” a representative of Sony told The Hollywood Reporter. “With multiple revenue streams, including consumer products, gaming, location-based entertainment, continued international rollout, and huge third-party promotional partnerships that mitigated costs, the bottom line, even before co-financing, is not remotely close to that number.”

As of this date, Ghostbusters has earned $117.2 million domestically and $62.8 million overseas for a grand total of $180 million worldwide. The film has yet to open in France, Japan, and Mexico.

Beyond the live-action universe, the Ghostbusters: Ecto Force animated series is targeting a 2018 premiere, and a Ghostbusters animated feature is expected to hit theaters in 2019.

“We’re very proud of the bold movie Paul Feig made, which critics and audiences loved,” a studio representative told THR. “It has enlivened a 30-year-old brand and put it into the modern zeitgeist. As a result, we have many ideas in the works to further exploit the Ghostbusters universe.”

Rick Marshall
A veteran journalist with more than two decades of experience covering local and national news, arts and entertainment, and…
What is happening with Michael Jackson biopic? Will it be two movies in 2026?
Michael Jackson holds a mic up to his face.

The Michael Jackson biopic hit another snag.
Per Deadline, Michael could be split into two movies. The current cut of Michael is approximately four hours. Furthermore, the movie will likely be removed from its release date — October 3, 2025 — and pushed to 2026.
While Jeff Sneider reports that Michael will be removed from the 2025 calendar, Deadline's report says Michael could still find a new release date later this year. Universal Studios will handle the international distribution of Michael, so several issues must be ironed out before finding a new release date.

The news comes one day after Lionsgate, the studio behind Michael, did not show footage from the biopic during its 2025 CinemaCon presentation. At 2024's CinemaCon, Lionsgate exec Jim Packer called Michael the "biggest movie we’ve ever had."

Read more
Watch a free episode of The Studio on Apple TV+
Seth Rogen holding a mug in "The Studio."

For those who are looking for a fun new show to watch, check out The Studio from Apple TV+. If you haven't subscribed to the service yet as you've been waiting for it to appear in streaming deals, the good news is that you can actually watch the first episode of the comedy series for free! Just click on the link below and access the free episode either by signing in with your Apple account or creating one. If you're hooked, you can take the seven-day free trial to watch the other episodes that are already available, then afterward it's $10 per month.

Why you should sign up for Apple TV+

Read more
The Simpsons, Family Guy, and more get multiple-season renewals from Fox
The Simpsons gather around the family television.

The Simpsons have been a featured part of Fox's animated lineup since 1989, and it's one of the longest-running TV shows in history. Now, thanks to a new deal between Disney and Fox, The Simpsons will be hanging around on the airwaves for almost four decades.

Via Deadline, The Simpsons has landed a four-season renewal which covers seasons 37 to 40 and runs through the 2028/2029 TV season. That will be just a few months shy of the 40th anniversary of The Simpsons TV series, although the franchise's 40th anniversary will fall two years earlier because the characters made their debut in 1987 on The Tracey Ullman Show.

Read more